- The Fated battle four Nightgaunts while fleeing at high speed from the Black Lodge’s headquarters in the mountains outside Arkham. The fight is difficult, but eventually they prevail.
- Kass, badly wounded from his previous encounter with the cult, falls unconscious. Their new ally, Max Crowly, also falls unconscious.
- The Fated drive on to the Arkham docks, where Dyson’s ship, the Gabrielle, is preparing to leave port, the expedition having completed it’s preparations.
- On board, the crew’s wounds are seen to, and they inform Dyson and Armitage (who will be joining the expedition) of recent events, and of the Black Lodge’s involvement.
- Crowly reveals that he is more than a mere private dick… he is a paranormal investigator working for a branch of the United States Government called Department Zero. He has been attempting to build a case against Master Therion and the Black Lodge for some months now, but their interest in the key changes matters. He offers his help, and leaves to gather support from other Department Zero assets, saying he will meet up with them in Panama.
- The ship is preparing to leave when the Black Lodge shows up, and set fire to the dock, and attempt to board the Gabrielle. Their efforts are thwarted by clever use of magic by Garm, and the martial talents of the others.
- The Gabrielle begins her voyage, and is unmolested. The expedition reaches Panama City, and takes on Crowly and three others from Department Zero, all geared for a fight. They do not expect the Black Lodge to leave the expedition alone for long, and will be prepared.
- During the voyage, Galren experiences several vivid nightmares, including dreams of Master Therion in pursuit, and disturbing dreams of himself being trapped deep beneath the waves, walking slowly along the ocean floor.
- Several months later, the expedition reaches the Antarctic continent, and prepares to move in to a recently abandoned semi-permanent base established by Dutch explorers in 1932.